Topic Map conversion of YSO
YSO is the Finnish General Upper Ontology based on the Finnish General Thesaurus maintained by The National Library of Finland. The Finnish General Thesaurus (YSA) was converted to YSO by Semantic Computing Research Group (SeCo) during FinnONTO project. SeCo also hosts YSO in their National Finnish Ontology Service ONKI. Detailed description of YSO is available at Tietolinja magazine 1/2007 (in Finnish). YSO is an acronym of words Yleinen Suomalainen Ontologia. YSO contains ca. 20 000 concepts.
Topic Map conversion of YSO is based on RDF dump (dated 2008-06-26) kindly provided by the SeCo team. Topic Map YSO was created using Wandora's RDF import feature. Machine translated YSO was processed manually to fix topic names and associations. Topic Map conversion is not identical to RDF version. Differences are discussed below.
Download Topic Map conversion of YSO
Topic Map conversion of YSO is available as Wandora project file and XTM dump.
- Wandora project file (2.1 MB) is targeted to Wandora users.
- XTM dump (zipped 2.25 MB, uncompressed 48.2 MB) can be used in any Topic Map application supporting XTM serialization format.
- 2008-08-27 Major revision - synchronizing Topic Map conversion with original YSO OWL dated 2008-06-26.
- 2008-08-14 Initial release.
Metrics were measured from yso-2008-06-26 layer of Wandora project file.
Number of terms
- Number of YSO term topics: 20148
- Number of YSA term topics: 19426
- Number of aggregate term topics: 359
- Number of grouping term topics: 153
Number of term relations
- Number of associative relation associations: 20750 (*1
- Number of superclass-subclass associations: 21546
- Number of aggregate associations: 747
- Number of meronym associations: 239
(*1 Associative relations contain symmetric pairs duplicating the number of associations. For example association A-B has symmetric pair B-A. If you look at the association count graph below, you may notice interesting saw edge where odd counts have more associations than even counts. I assume this is due to the paired Associative relations.
Topic map statistics
- Number of all topics: 40120
- Number of associations: 63087
- Number of topic base names: 40105
- Number of subject identifiers: 40128
- Number of subject locators: 0
- Number of occurrences: 9556
- Number of distinct topic classes: 8
- Number of distinct types of associations: 10
- Number of distinct roles in associations: 8
- Number of distinct players in associations: 40079
- Average coefficient for layer yso-2008-06-26 is 0.0348570
Below is a screenshot of Wandora with Topic Map conversion of YSO. Wandora's topic panel has todellisuus topic (reality in English) open. Topic has variant name in Swedish and English. Topic plays a role in Associative Relation associations. Term's superclass is muut ilmiöt (other phenomena in English) and term has equivalent term in Finnish National Thesaurus, YSA.
In general each YSO term topic is an instance of topic term (yso). YSO term has a base name of equivalent Finnish word and contains Finnish, Swedish, and English variant names. In some cases English and/or Swedish variant is missing. Some terms also contain alternative labels as alternative label occurrences. Term may also contain short description as a comment occurrence.
Each YSO term topic has one subject identifier referring term's YSO id. For example, previous screenshot had a topic with subject identifier
referring to a YSO id p5016.
Terms originating Finnish National Thesaurus, YSA, have orthogonal subject identifier space. For example topic in previous screenshot has equivalent term in YSA, namely Y5462 with a subject identifier
YSO term topic may contain associations:
- Superclass-Subclass associations specify standard sub-superclass relations between terms. Root node of Superclass-Subclass associations is topic yso-käsitteet. Subclasses of root node are muuttuva, pysyvä, and abstrakti. Graph below views Superclass-Subclass associations of topic ilmiöt (phenomena in English). Dark blue arrows and texts were added in Photoshop.
- Associative Relation associations specify a general relation between two terms. It looks like most Associative Relation associations have a symmetric duplicate where players have been switched. This duplicates the amount of Associative Relation associations.
- Aggregate associations link homonyms i.e. terms with identical names but different meaning. Identical base names merge in topic maps and base names contain additional number to distinguish different term topics. For example osakeyhtiöt has a homonym with base name osakeyhtiöt_2.
- Meronym associations specify part-whole relations between term topics.
- Due to copyright issues some associations found in Finnish National Thesaurus, YSA have been left out of the YSO.
License of The Topic Map Conversion of YSO
Copyright (c) 2007-2008, FinnONTO Consortium
All rights reserved.
YSA contributed by The National Library of Finland, 2007.
TOPIC MAP CONVERSION OF YSO contributed by Wandora Team, 2008.
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.