D3 tree service module
(Created page with "The D3 tree module uses the https://github.com/mbostock/d3/wiki/Tree-Layout D3 partition layout to visualize hierarchial topic structures in Wandora. It uses the open sour...")
Revision as of 15:19, 3 August 2012
The visualization facilitates different hierarchies with HTTP parameters used to specify the hierarchy's root topic, child-parent-association and respective child and parent roles in the association. By default the depth of recursion through the hierarchy is limited to 5 recursions but may also be overridden with a HTTP parameter.
A complete description of the parameters is provided on the visualization page and an example of their use follows below.
Note that as with D3 the browser support of D3 visualizations in Wandora is limited to IE9+ and up to date versions of Firefox, Chrome (+Chromium), Safari and Opera.
By default the visualization shows a hierarchy where Wandora Class is the root topic, the parent role is superclass and the child role subclass in the superclass-subclass association. No topics need to be added to Wandora to view this hierarchy since the aforementioned topics are added to Wandora on startup.
A larger set of topics shown here is achieved by using the Tree graph generator and specifying the following query string.
- The SI pointing to the root topic is http://www.wandora.org/topic/root
- The SI pointing to the association type topic is http://www.wandora.org/topic/associationType
- The SI pointing to the child role is http://www.wandora.org/topic/child
- The SI pointing to the parent role is http://www.wandora.org/topic/parent
In a more complex example a data from the European royal families topicmap is used. A Query topic map that creates child-parent associations has been added to the layer structure in the project file in order to visualize hierarchial family relations.
The following query string is used to visualize four generations of George I's descendants
- The SI pointing to the root topic is http://www.wandora.org/gedcom/I341
- The SI pointing to the association type topic is http://www.wandora.org/gedcom/schema/childparent
- The SI pointing to the child role is http://www.wandora.org/gedcom/schema/child
- The SI pointing to the parent role is http://www.wandora.org/gedcom/schema/parent
- The depth is limited to 4
Reversing the child and parent roles and icreasing depth we get in turn 7 generations of George I's ancestors